Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Biological Clock

For the past 24 years, I have lived in a society that runs around from dawn to dusk. Most people are up by 6 am getting ready for work or school, have no time to eat a decent breakfast, make it to work right on time, have a 30 minute lunch break, go back to work and do not stop until it is time to go home at about 6 or 7 pm.

I have recently discovered a new way of life :-)

As you all know, I now live in Spain.  Other than the obvious differences, there is one that stands out completely. The Mediterranian Lifestyle!!!  Yes of course, there are plenty of people that have to wake up before the sun, and get to their workplace bright and early.  And there are definitely those that get their work done while we are asleep... the garbage is never there in the morning :-) But in general, the schedule is COMPLETELY different from the ¨Norm¨  if you know what I mean.

For example,,,
9:30    wake up
10:00  breakfast
2:00    lunch
2:00 - 5:00 rest
6:00   munchies
9:30   dinner
current time to doze off is anywhere from 12:00 - 2:00

Of course there are plenty of things that are done in between the time slots, but you get the idea.
When my hubby worked near home, other than having a breakfast break at 10:00, he was able to come home, eat lunch with us, and relax for a little while.

Sometimes I forget that most places close from 2 - 5 pm and of course, that is when I decide to leave the house.  I am trying to get into the habit of it, I guess it will take a little while.

Although some people may find this tradition to be unnecessary and inconvenient, I think it improves the Quality of Life.  I have never had more than a 45 minute lunch break in any of my past jobs.  If I didn´t get a chance to bring something to work, most of that time was spent waiting in a line and then scarfing my food down.  I would finish my lunch break even more worn out than before.

Keeping the ¨siesta¨ allows time for a real break and in turn, happier, healthier employees.

Maybe the rest of the world should take a hint ;-)  I know a few people who should !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment